Last updated on 24 June 2020
Finally, it’s real! The contract is signed, and the work has begun on my first book with Bookboon. The Creative Empathy Field Guide is scheduled to drop as an ebook in December 2020.
If you’re interested in getting updates, you can follow me on Twitter or subscribe to my newsletter at The Greatness Studio.
The greatest innovations address our deepest needs, and empathy is the key to discovering them. While empathy can seem mysterious or magical, it’s more like a muscle: we can learn, train, and develop it.
This field guide provides a clear, actionable handbook for engaging empathy to create meaningful products & services. Along the journey, we’ll demystify creative empathy by examining its core concepts. We’ll then cover practical techniques to facilitate empathy in ourselves and our teams. And we’ll conclude with important ways to avoid common pitfalls.
Let’s create things that make life better for all of us!
Table of Contents
Part One: Benefits of Creative Empathy
- Chapter 1: Understanding Deep Emotional Needs
- Chapter 2: Product-Market Fit
- Chapter 3: Sustainable Engagement
Part Two: How Empathy Works
- Chapter 4: Method, Not Magic
- Chapter 5: The Process in Four Phases
- Chapter 6: Eindhoven Empathy Model (E=AP)
Part Three: Increasing Empathic Ability
- Chapter 7: Develop Your Emotional Vocabulary
- Chapter 8: Take Acting Classes
- Chapter 9: Practice Mindfulness
- Chapter 10: Experience Life Fully
Part Four: Increasing Proximity
- Chapter 11: Get Out of The Office
- Chapter 12: Simulate People’s Context
- Chapter 13: Eat Your Own Dog Food
- Chapter 14: Play the Role
- Chapter 15: Become Your Customer
Part Five: Creative Empathy for Teams
- Chapter 16: Nurture Psychological Safety
- Chapter 17: Work Together
- Chapter 18: Create Characters
- Chapter 19: Tell Compelling Stories
- Chapter 20: Hire Your Customer
Part Six: Final Thoughts
- Chapter 21: Observe Without Judgement
- Chapter 22: Avoid Destructive Empathy
- Chapter 23: Make Meaningful Matches